Thursday, August 03, 2006

Swingin' London

I'm in London!!! I promise I'll write about Edinburgh soon but I'm a little over-whelmed by the number of pictures I have. For now, I'll show you what I've done in London so far. I arrived on tuesday and will leave tomorrow so that doesn't give me as much time as I'd like to soak up the ambiance but I have stayed in London several times before including one whole summer two years ago. If everything goes well I'll be living here before the end of the year... God I hope so. London is my favorite city in the world.

I'm staying with my friend at his flat on the King's Road in Chelsea. Chelsea has to be the loveliest neighborhood in London, in my opinion. It still retains its village-like feel with the different colored houses and quiet streets (except King's Road and Fulham Road of course). I'm staying right next to the Chelsea Cinema and to my surprise as I emerged from the classic black London taxi I was greeted by another classic: the " Breakfast at Tiffany's" poster at the cinema. Unfortunately it's playing on Sunday which means I won't be here anymore but it's still wonderful to see that others appreciate this gem of a film as much as I do.

Yesterday I walked to the V&A museum. It is without a doubt one of the best museums in the world. I headed towards the garden and was pleasantly surprised by an enormous Jeff Koons pink diamond ring. The display reads " A two-metre, mirror-polished stainless steel sculpture in the shape of a cut diamond. A new work never before on public display in the UK, by the world-renowed contemporary artist Jeff Koons. " I love how the different views of the museum and sky are reflected within the cut of the diamond.

The V& A has a fantastic collection, the British Gallery in particular, is astounding. The museum spent a fortune remodeling these rooms and I can say that they are the most interactive and fun galleries I have ever visited. You can open drawers, listen to music, create your own patterns and print them, touch different fabrics,even try on crinolines! Sooo much FUN. There was also an exhibition of "60's London" with a mini movie and Mary Quant/ Twiggy galore. It's hard to imagine the King's Road full of punks and Vivienne Westwood look-alikes now but it's interesting to imagine it.
Here are some paper dresses which were all the rage back then, who knew?

There was also an exhibition on "Che Guevara: Revolutionary & Icon" which I didn't have time to see but maybe I'll swing by there today. It was quite humurous how they posted his face all over the entrance hall and on the pavement right outside the museum.





After my V& A visit I couldn't resist a look at Ladureé at Harrod's. I had just bought the Marie-Antoinette biography by Lady Antonia Fraser, "Marie-Antoinette: The Journey" which Sofia Coppola based her screenplay on. I decided to sit, read, and have a cup o' tea, and bien sûre, des MACARONS. I have to admit that I was not too impressed by the London Ladureé. It was very busy and loud, and a bit tacky even but their macarons are still divine! I ordered the Violet tea and 4 macarons: fruit rouges, citron, pétales des roses, menthe. The only one I wasn't crazy about was the mint, it tasted too much like chewing gum!

On my way back to Chelsea I was confronted by a hint of the Swingin' London of the past. Yes, it's still there if you look hard enough.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

im so jealous!!!! are you seriously moving to london?? thats fantastic!
melissa

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your fab blog and now find out you've been just around the corner from me all week (I live in Notting Hill, which is the real loveliest neighbourhood in London) and then I find out that you're moving to London.

Which is all very well, but I'm moving to the States at the end of the year. Oh well. Thanks anyway for being so enthusiastic about my city. It's wonderful when somebody else loves something you love.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Moi said...

Melissa-YES I'm moving, YAY!

Paola- Thank you! I like Notting Hill too. Where in the states are you moving, east coast?

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so tempting.I was planning to go to London in october

But I am going to go sooner. What a magnificent ring

This is what I call " L'uncroiyable de les uncroiyables"

My best

Eli

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pink beetle.....and the huge pink diamond. Thank you for your beautiful walk around the city . it feels like if i been there too.

Fi

12:40 PM  
Blogger Run Around Paris said...

I think it's so cool when theaters play old movies like Breakfast At Tiffany's, and that one is a bonus since it's by Truman Capote!

I've never been to London, but I heard that it's a wonderful place to visit, but uber-expensive to live there. Good luck to you!

Erin

6:22 AM  
Blogger Moi said...

Erin- Are you a Capote fan? I just finished reading "Summer Crossing" an unpublished novel he wrote in the early 50's. It's not as good as BAT but worth a look!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Patri Jorge said...

Moi!!! Nice post about your travel...regarding Holly ----it's was a pity you couldn't watch it!!. The rest of the photos...marvellous!!! Thanks for giving us the opportunity to learn much about your london point of view. Greetings from the Canaries.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Ah, but of course BAT was there for you!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Parisbreakfasts said...

What a tasty slice of London you've given us. Is that the cinema at Old Church street? I love the big ring from Jeff Koons-never seen that one before...did you go to Laduree on a Sunday? Must be like brunch in NYC..Let us know how you like the Marie-A book.
TANKS

11:09 AM  
Blogger Parisbreakfasts said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Parisbreakfasts said...

Moi-they're reading SUMMER CROSSING on the BBC on Book At Bedtime here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/book_bedtime.shtml
PS Love the pink & blue photo :)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Moi said...

Carol-The chelsea cinema is right on the king's road, close to the trafalgar pub. Oh and I went to Laduree on a wednesday afternoon but it was still ridiculously busy! Thanks for letting me know about Book at Bedtime!
Cheerio!

12:02 AM  
Blogger la femme said...

I have that book too...

Your entries and photographs are so beautiful.

I'm in London next week and will be hitting some of the same spots!

4:43 AM  
Blogger Diana @ So Fash'on said...

love that Jeff Koons art piece. I'll feature it on my blog and will link your site! Thanks
xo

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats