Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Leche-Vitrines A St. Tropez

Last week we decided to drive down to St. Tropez. We probably chose the worst day as it started to pour as we arrived, it even hailed! We parked in the indoor parking of the Place des Lices but it was full of people taking shelter, waiting for the storm to abate. After waiting like chickens, we mustered up the courage to brave the weather. Fortunately, once we got to the Vieux Port it stopped raining and the sun made a welcome entrance.

I took this picture of the colorful Vieux Port buildings reflected on the wet pavement. I hope these images will dispel the notorious party-animal image of St. Tropez. It's not all about fancy cars, models, and yachts, though admittedly they do play a big part during the summer months. I thought I'd show you the sweeter side of St. Trop, this being "la dolcissima vita mia."

Here I am enjoying a capuccino ice-cream in the sunshine. Barbarac is the best place for ice-cream in St. Tropez, I believe. It is situated in the port really close to Häagen-Dazs, and is a much better alternative.
These were their "nouveauté" I didn't try them but they look so beautiful, don't you think?

Later on we walked down Rue Sibilli to do some shopping, but unfortunately I came home empty-handed. That's why I've called this post "lèche-vitrines" which means "window-shopping" in French. I passed by the new Diane Von Furstenberg shop in St. Tropez. She was the quintessential "it girl" of the 70's here, well apart from Brigitte Bardot of course who has become St. Tropez' s patron saint practically. Brigitte's style is seen everywhere, from the fashions in the shop windows to the thin and impossibly tan teenagers swarming around town in cute vespas sporting their micro shorts, cowboy boots, and messy long hair. Yes, they are chic, but it's really not my style, so I opted not to give into temptation. I think we should all find what works for us and try not to veer away from it too much. It's not that I'm against experimenting, it's fun and creative but I think we all know that when your closet is in the throes of an identity crisis, your personal style will suffer.

As I wandered about the enchanting streets, I was suddenly aware of every detail, a lovely door-knocker, a beautiful color on a door, a cat peeking out the window. All of these everyday images were suddenly full of new meaning in the surge of appreciation.

Peek-a-boo!

I just fell in love with this door-knocker...


This lovely Pâtisserie had the typical "Tarte Tropézienne" in their window. This is a St. Tropez specialty created by Alexandra Micka, a Polish immigrant who set up a bakery in St. Tropez in the 50's. When Brigitte Bardot and Roger Vadim were filming "And God Created Woman" in nearby Ramatuelle. Micka was asked to cater for the whole film crew. This creamy cake was an instant hit among the crew and it soon came to be known as "la tarte tropezienne." I didn't get to go to the original bakery, next time I hope! C'est délicieux.

3 Comments:

Blogger la femme said...

Mon dieu- so beautiful! I have not [yet?] been to St. Tropez. Thanks for the photographic peek into la dolce vita... I'm drooling over la tarte tropezienne.

That cat is fantastic.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Moi said...

Thank you Eurobrat! I'm glad you liked the pictures. I hope you get to go to St. Trop.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Parisbreakfasts said...

Oh you've made me very nostalgic for St.Trop - it's been a very long time...lovely pictures :)

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats