Thursday, May 11, 2006

Back from New York


I have so much to tell from my New York experience I don't even know where to begin! I had a lovely time with my friends and the weather was perfect! The city was in full bloom, tulips, magnolias and lilacs filled the air with a most refreshing fragrance.

But before I get into the details of my trip I would like to express how excited I am about the Cannes Film Festival which begins next Wednesday! Hopefully I will get there on Monday or Tuesday. The opening film is "The Da Vinci Code" (out of competition), which I would very much like to watch, but Sofia Coppola's "Marie-Antoinette", which I have posted about is far more exciting. There's a new trailer in the French website and most importantly, it will be released in France on none other than my birthday (May 24)!!! Thank you Sofia, that was so thoughtful of you! (www.marieantoinette-lefilm.com)

I have also discovered that el Señor Manolo Blahník was asked (or possibly begged?) to design the shoes for Kirsten Dunst's delicate feet. If you watch the new trailer you'll see just how exquisite his designs are. I believe this is his premier foray into film, congratulations Manolo! I really hope this will be the first of many cinematic collaborations...


Which reminds me of this magnificent exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art entitled "AngloMania" created by the Costume Institute which also included many of the Spanish genius' dainty creations. I swear I almost burst into sobs when I laid eyes on this show last week. The curators juxtaposed "traditional" British fashion with "transgressional" designs by Vivienne Westwood, John Galliano, Paul Smith, Alexander McQueen, Hussein Chalayan and lovely orchid-shaped hats by Philip Treacy. The show is installed in the Bristish period rooms at the Met which lend a certain grandeur and authenticity to the costumes. The overall effect was quite dramatic and obviously extremely to my liking! I cannot offer enough high praise for it. In one of the rooms the atmosphere of a typical English Manor is conjured by covering the faux windows of an 18th century English room with shadows of trees while dimming the lights and adding rainy/stormy sound effects. I loved it, but then I would, wouldn't I?, being a hopeless Anglomaniac myself. The bottom line is if you find yourself in New York between May 3rd and September 4th and you do not make an effort to see it, our friendship will be doomed for all eternity.

That's all for today, but I promise I will come up with a list of more New York places/recommendations for you soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marie-Antoinnette...with the beautiful flowers from Belgian Thierry Boutémy (Brussels).

5:24 PM  
Blogger Moi said...

Oh was he the florist for the movie?

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats