Sunday, July 16, 2006

Artists I admire: Ryan McGuinness



If I had an unlimited budget to create a fabulous contemporary art collection, Ryan McGuinness would surely make the list. I came accross several of his striking prints at MOMA in April and it was love at first sight. I had no idea that he was such an art star. I admit I am a little abashed since I majored in art history, but when it comes to contemporary art I definitely have a lot to learn! I think that all you need in order to learn about art is a little curiosity coupled with an open-mind, and of course a tolerance for museum visits. I think it may end up being a gene, "the museum gene," I know some people who are absolutely allergic to museums and will just break out in hives at the mere mention of them. I try to avoid these people at all costs. No, but seriously, you don't need to be a pompous tweed-wearing preppy or a cooler-than-thou Williamsburg hipster to discuss art.

After four years of overanalyzing and researching paintings to death I'm trying to return to my initial intuitive, or emotional connection to art.
So, forgive me if I don't wax intellectual about art here. I just wanted to share the work of artists which I, for some reason or other, forged a special bond with.

Ryan McGuinness is visually refreshing and exciting, at least to me. I used to be very conservative in my artistic tastes but that is changing rapidly. I love the flatness and the swirling, psychedelic feel of his work. I understand that he has done commercial work such as designing skateboards, clothing, and posters. I don't think commercializing his work will damage his career, it only shows the range of his multifaceted talents. However, when commercialization gets a little out of hand, i.e. Munch's "The Scream", or Van Gogh's "Starry Night," the originals loose some of their soul. But I believe Mr. McGuinness knows his limits.

I especially like this last one entitled "Bronzino Crunch", 1999. Bronzino, a Mannerist portraitist, is one of my most beloved artists, and his "portrait of a young man" pictured here, is a particular favorite. I even developed a crush on him while gazing into his lulling eyes at the Met for half an hour. I love the odd juxtapositions and overlapping effects he achieves. Truly out of the ordinary.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the the artist!
Thank you for sharing it.
It's the first time I see his work.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Moi said...

Yay! I'm so excited. THANK YOU!

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

רציתי לחלק אותכם במקרה אשר עברתי לאחר הפיגוע בדולפינריום. במהלך שנה אחרי המקרה, הרגשתי רע מאוד, חסרת שמחת חיים, עייפה ומדוכדכת. עם טיפולים רפואיים רגילים לא יכולתי להשתקם וכתוצאה מכך פניתי ל- [b][url=http://www.maker.co.il/3_15707/%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%9E%D7%A8/%D7%9B%D7%9C-%D7%94%D7%A2%D7%95%D7%91%D7%93%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%A2%D7%9C-%D7%A0%D7%A4%D7%A9-%D7%94%D7%90%D7%93%D7%9D-%D7%95%D7%A2%D7%99%D7%A1%D7%95%D7%99-%D7%A8%D7%A4%D7%95%D7%90%D7%99-(%D7%9E%D7%A1%D7%90%D7%92%60).html]עיסוי[/url][/b] רפואי אלטרנטיבי. המליצו לי על מעסה מקצועי מ-Spa-Vip.co.il - עיסוי עד הבית, אשר כולל מסאז שוודי מפנק במיוחד אשר עורר לי את החושים תוך טיפול אחד בלבד. כזה שינוי בחיים לא חוויתי, אומנם זה היה טיפול עיסוי איורוודה ראשון, חזרה השמחה לחיי, פיזרתי את השיער ויצאתי מה- [b][url=http://www.academics.co.il/Articles/Article12945.aspx]מסאג[/url][/b]' עם הרבה כוח, שמחה ומוכנה להמשיך הלאה.

עיסוי האיורוודה הוא עיסוי המתאפיין ב ריח של קטורת, נרות וריח של קטורת. ההתחלה של עיסוי היא מגע עדין מעל המגבת לאחר חשיפה של הגוף מכף רגל ועד ראש. נמרח שמן חם מכף רגל ועד הראש, אח"כ תנועה מלטפת ועדינה מכף רגל ועד ראש ובחזרה. אחרי כמה תנועות עדינות מתחיל הטיפול בצידו השני של הגוף, לאחר אותם תנועות על הצד השני יש שילוב של לחיצות רפואיות מכיוון שהגוף התרגל למגע מפנק ומרגיע וזה גרם לשרירים להרפות במידה... כל זה בטיפול פרטי של [b][url=http://www.academics.co.il/Authors/Author2173.aspx]מעסה[/url][/b] מקצועי עד בית הלקוח!

אני לא האמנתי שדברים כאלו יכולים לקרות עד אשר חוויתי מסאג איורוודה באיכות כזאת, המעסה המקצועי הגיע עד לביתי עם מגע שלא הכרתי אשר לא תיארתי שיכול להיות. אני ממליצה בחום לכל אחד ואחת אשר חשבו על מסאג', עיסוי או פינוק מטריף חושים בחגים על Spa-VIP.co.il.
[img]http://spa-vip.co.il/_images/apixel.gif[/img]

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats